MoFo - A dictionary of Morphemic Forms
MoFo is a dictionary of Kalaallisut (Greenlandic). It is a true morphemic dictionary: its primary purpose is not to list how words are spelt, but to record the underlying morphemic form of bases, affixes, enclitics and particles, using the morphemic notation of An Introduction to West Greenlandic (AITWG). Thus, this dictionary is first and foremost created for people who want to learn Greenlandic, rather than people who already speak the language. See the Documentation for an explanation of why a morphemic dictionary is better suited for learners than any of the other dictionaries available.
Use the navigation bar to select different views of the morphemes:
- The Orthographies tab will allow you to choose between viewing the morphemes ordered by their morphemic form; their new orthography form; or their English meaning.
- The Search tab will allow you to choose between various ways of searching for morphemes with specific attributes, such as a specific join-pattern; noun stems that display gemination or metathesis; verb stems of a particular valency, and much more.
- The Documentation tab contains a quick-reference for the technical concepts that appear in the entries for each morpheme. However, for an in-depth explanation of these concepts, you should consult the AITWG.
MoFo is very much an on-going project. It is far from complete, since building an entire dictionary for a language is time-consuming task. I have therefore decided to focus on recording the information I believe will be most relevant for a learner of Kalaallisut. Currently, the dictionary contains the following:
- All irregular nouns stems I could find. This list includes
- every noun listed in Appendix 8 of Nielsen (2019)
- those listed in Bjørnum (2003)
- those listed in Schultz-Lorentzen (1951).
- All affixes and enclitics listed in my own affix list, which also contains all affixes given in Fortescue (1983).
Would you like to contribute?
MoFo is a hobby-project I develop in my spare time and add entries to whenever I have time for it. However, building a dictionary is a slow and lengthy process. Therefore, the more people who want to help adding entries, the sooner we will have a complete morphemic dictionary of Kalaallisut. If you are interested in contributing, please get in touch with me through email or Discord.
Current number of entries: 337